|ၼႃႈလိၵ်ႈၼႆႉ မီးလွင်ႈယိူင်းဢၢၼ်းလႄႈ ၸင်ႇလႆႈၶဝ်ႈပႃး ဢၼ်တႅမ်ႈဝႆႉ ၽၢႆႇဢင်းၵိတ်ႉ။ ယႃႇပေပိၼ်ႇၽႃႇသႃႇ။|
This article is written in English for a specific purpose. Please do not translate it.
This page is about the encoding and fonts that are used on the Myanmar Wikipedia. To get started right away, just skip to the external links to download a Unicode 5.1 font, install it and join the community.
Unicode is a standard that defines how text should be saved into data and how it is read and written. Almost every script in the world, including Burmese, is defined in the Unicode Standard. Carefully designed by experts of the field around the world, this international standard is supported by virtually all the latest platforms--not only in major operating systems like Windows, Mac, and Linux but also in OSes of mobile phones and many electronic devices. The Unicode Standard is the most well-known encoding scheme to support the largest number of scripts/languages in a single page of code. More information is available at Unicode.org. See discussion on Unicode usage in Wikipedia. All Wikipedias, including the English language Wikipedia, use Unicode as it is Wikimedia Foundation policy.
Why use Unicode?[မႄးထတ်းငဝ်ႈငႃႇ]
- It is the international accepted standard by the World Wide Web Consortium, the main international standards organization for the World Wide Web.
- The fonts necessary to view and edit are freely available.
- Search is seamless with Unicode.
- Unicode makes it extremely easy to translate the Wikipedia's interface.
- Unicode fonts support 11 languages that use the Myanmar script:
- 2 liturgical languages: Pali and Sanskrit
- 8 minority languages: Mon, Shan, Kayah, four Karen languages and Rumai Palaung
Unicode Myanmar/Burmese fonts[မႄးထတ်းငဝ်ႈငႃႇ]
These are links for fonts that conform to the Burmese script encoded in Unicode 5.1 and above (all of them are available for free) -
- Pyidaungsu Font - Myanmar unicode font and keyboard
- WinMyanmar Ver. 5.2 Unicode - from WinMyanmar System (requires email registration for downloading)
- Padauk font ver 3.003 - from SIL International.
- Myanmar3 variants font - from the Myanmar Unicode and NLP Research Centre.
- ParabaikSans font - from Solveware Solution, may work on Mac OS X (Intel).
- MyMyanmar provides a package of tools including Input Method Editor and fonts. This font support both OS X and Windows.
- Xenotype Burmese Mac fonts (commercial font) provides unicode 5.1 fonts for Mac OS X.
- Masterpiece Unicode San provide free, a native font for OS X.
- Noto Sans Myanmar from Google
- Myanmar Unicode Keyboard for Mac User
- Myanmar Unicode Area
- Unicode Technical Support | Myanmar
- Myanmar Language
- Thanlwin Soft - useful Unicode site that provides alphabetization, keyboard input methods, legacy font conversion software and more resources
- Myanmar character notes - describes how the Myanmar script is used for the Burmese language in the context of the Unicode Myanmar block
- Myanmar character picker - online Myanmar Unicode input utility
- Unicode Text Editor No install and compatible to Burmese Standard font - direct download
- Eng to Burmese Dictionary instant fetch - Firefox extension, Search Engines and others